Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Tis the Season to be Furious

I need to rant about this, because this is a subject that really pisses me off.

Tis the time of the year for holiday cheer.  That cheer which often includes decorating, presenting, and Christmas cards.  It is the latter which can make my blood boil.  I am fairly certain that when I got married I did not give up my identity, yet time and time again I see Christmas cards addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Brian Figenbaum.  Please tell me when the fuck I changed my name to Brian?  I have absolutely no problem being Adrienne Figenbaum.  In fact I think my French first and German last name are hella awesome considering everything, but this little staple of nomenclature has always lit a fire under my skin.  I remember questioning my mother about it around the holidays when I would see cards addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Brown, because I'm fairly certain she did not become my father when she tied the knot.  That would be...weird on many levels.  I understand that this is just a tradition, but just because something has always been done a certain way, does not mean it is right. Society would never advance if this kind of thinking were allowed to rule the populace.  What makes me even angrier is that I have said numerous times that I do not like such an address.  It is not that difficult to write both of our names on a card.  I don't even care if his name goes first.  The point it we did not become some amalgamation of a person when we got married.  We did not merge.  Maybe it's just me...I know there are women who aren't bothered by this.  I am not one of them.  I don't think it's very hard to respect my wishes without me sounding like a bitch.

1 comment:

  1. Fight back for women's equality! I totally agree on this.

    ReplyDelete