Saturday, December 1, 2012

7 Necessary Definitions

1.  A satisfactory portmanteau of "awkward" and "adorable."  "Adawkwable is...awkward.

2.  A word for happiness at the good fortune of others.  We have the opposite in Schadenfreude (thanks Germans!), but nothing for this??

3.  A word for the general "you." So you don't think I'm talking about you (which right now I am) when I'm really talking about everyone.  French has "on." English is lacking.

4.  This one has a definition, but one I just made up last week.  It's not TV Tropes official, and I just kinda want to ramble about it for a bit, plus that site has not been entirely kind to me when I throw up my "controversial" ideas.

Informed Villainy - similar to Hollywood Homely where canon or Word of God insists that a character is evil, while simultaneously presenting evidence that shows their villainy is not entirely or not at all their fault.  This could be due to villainy by design, a corrupting factor, mind control, or various combinations of the same.  This is not to say their bad behavior is okay.  You (see 3) can feel sorrow or empathy for a character, but not condone their actions.  Someone PLEASE think of the daleks!

5.  There needs to be a definition for when an event occurs or is facilitated by an actor or actors for the wrong reasons, but good comes of it despite.  Seriously...how many stories do I know that start off with this paradigm?

6.  Is there a term for songs that have the same melody but different lyrics?  Is there one for the opposite (same lyrics, different melody)?  There should be!

7.  Can you have nostalgia for a time you've never experienced or is this just longing for a romanticized version of that particular zeitgeist?  For example you yearn for a particular version of the future, but in your head it feels like you've already experienced it so it comes off as nostalgia.  This could also just be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment